Tender called to replace Placentia lift bridge
October 3, 2012
Plans to replace the Sir Ambrose Shea Bridge in Placentia are moving forward today (Wednesday, October 3) with a new tender call for the construction of a modern lift bridge.
“This tender call is the next step in providing a new lift bridge for the people of Placentia and surrounding communities,” said the Honourable Tom Hedderson, Minister of Transportation and Works. “Repairs carried out this year will ensure the current bridge will meet the needs of residents until the completion of its replacement, which we anticipate will begin construction in 2013.”
A previous tender call received no acceptable submissions by the deadline. Since then, the Department of Transportation and Works has engaged in repairs to extend the life of the current structure, and has revised the requirements for the new bridge in an effort to encourage more proposals.
“My department welcomes submissions from all construction companies as we proceed with the bidding process for this significant project,” said Minister Hedderson.
The new bridge will be built next to the existing bridge on Route 100. The existing bridge will remain open while the construction is ongoing. The tender includes the construction of new approaches, as well as the removal of the existing bridge.
“The Sir Ambrose Shea Lift Bridge has been an integral part of social and economic development in the Placentia region for decades,” said Honourable Felix Collins, Minister of Justice and Attorney General and MHA for Placentia – St. Mary’s. “Our government is cognizant of the ongoing growth and development in the region and is committed to providing the necessary infrastructure to support it.”
Budget 2012: People and Prosperity provides $165.1 million to enhance provincial road and bridge infrastructure, which is supplemented by $60 million in Federal Government funding, for a total investment in 2012-13 of $225.1 million.