December 4, 2017
For Immediate Release
Will NL Companies Have First Priority to Supply Marijuana Products to this Province?
Paul Davis, Leader of the Official Opposition, is asking, “Will Newfoundland and Labrador companies have first priority to supply marijuana products to this province?” In Question Period on Monday, the Premier and Justice Minister would not make such a commitment.
Davis asked a series of questions the government has not yet answered regarding the cannabis strategy that it claims it will be ready to implement by mid-2018:
- Will the provincial government have control of who supplies marijuana products to this province?
- Has the government made any decision on the supply of marijuana to this province?
- Is the government entertaining any proposal from any out-of-province supplier about supplying marijuana products to this province when local enterprises are looking for these opportunities?
- Is the government entertaining any proposal that would make a particular supplier a ‘sole-source’ monopoly supplier?
- Is the government entertaining any proposal that would involve providing incentives to a particular supplier?
- Is the government prepared to provide incentives to any Newfoundland and Labrador-based supplier to enable them to get their enterprises ready?
Davis said, “The supply of these products represents an opportunity for local businesses to generate jobs and economic activity in our communities. Local enterprises, workers and communities should be given top priority in supplying the local demand.”
Heather MacLean, Director of Operations and Communications, Office of the Official Opposition
(709) 729 6105, email@example.com